Sitz baths are a form of hydrotherapy (water therapy), which increases the blood flow to the pelvis and abdominal area. Perineal hygiene is the primary reason for using this type of bath when the area is tender and inflamed.
A sitz bath may be ordered for your child for any of the following reasons:
- Use at onset of treatment for discomfort and cleanliness.
- Use at any time for any skin reaction in the genital, perineal or perirectal area.
- Discomfort with bowel movements or continuous discomfort related to perineal inflammation, hemorrhoids, and diarrhea.
- Sitz baths help lower the risk of infection and aid the healing of skin.
Sitz bath steps
- Fill the bath half full with water (no soap) that is warm to your touch.
- Baking soda can be added but is generally not necessary (4 tablespoons per full bath).
- Help your child sit in the sitz bath for at least 15 minutes.
- If there is any build-up around the affected area, gently clean with a soft, wet wash cloth.
- After the bath, help your child gently pat the skin dry with a soft, dry cloth.
- Fully dry the affected area by exposing the area to room air for 15 minutes or using a blow drier (set on cool).
- Repeat this 2 times a day until the area is fully healed.
- Avoid doing bubble baths and sitting in soapy water for long periods of time.
- Review proper bathroom hygiene habits with the child.