If you suspect that your child has swallowed a medicine or poison, call poison control immediately at *1-800-POISON-1*, then contact us. All of your family’s medications should have child-proof caps. They should be kept in locked or out-of-reach cabinets. You should also store soaps, cleaning agents, and painting supplies in a secure place. It’s surprising how quickly little fingers become nimble enough to open drawers and doors and pry the lids off of things. This can lead to a major emergency or even death.