With any head injury it is common to have any of the following symptoms:
- Mild Headache
- Vomiting (once or twice)
- Mild Confusion/Sleepiness
For a bruise or bump: Use a cold pack (ice pack) wrapped in a towel as often as your child will let you. Apply the pack for 20 minutes on, 40 minutes off for a few hours if possible.
For nausea: Give only clear liquids (like water or Gatorade) to drink for the first few hours.
For pain: Ibuprofen (Motrin and Advil) can be used to manage the pain. Use these medications as instructed on the box.
For the next 24 hours, check for these signs. If you see any of these signs below, come back to our office (if we are open) or go straight to the nearest emergency room.
- A bad headache that is not getting better with medication
- Odd behavior
- Too sleepy or hard to wake up
- A baby who will not eat or drink
- Vomiting more than 2 times
- Trouble walking/balance
- Arm or leg weakness
- No feeling in the arms or legs
- Pupils are not the same size
- Odd eye movement
- Trouble with eyesight
- Blood or fluid coming from the nose or ears
- Seizures (odd body movements)