Allergic reactions can be triggered by foods, medications, insect stings, pollen, or other substances. Although most allergic reactions aren’t serious, severe reactions can be life-threatening and can require immediate medical attention.
Avoid substances that are known to trigger an allergic reaction in the child. Keep an oral antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl or Claritin) available. If the child has a severe allergy, be sure that doctor prescribed injectable epinephrine (Twinject or Epipen) is kept with or near the child at all times, and that you, caretakers, and the child (if old enough) know how to use it
Signs and Symptoms:
- Mild skin redness or swelling
- Stuffy, runny nose
- Itchy, watery eyes
- Red bumps (hives) that occur anywhere on the body
- Swelling of the face or mouth
- Difficulty swallowing or speaking
- Wheezing or difficulty breathing
- Abdominal pain, nausea, or vomiting
- Dizziness or fainting
What to do:
- Contact a doctor if a child has an allergic reaction that is more than mild or the reaction concerns you.
- If the child has symptoms of a mild reaction, give an oral antihistamine such as Benadryl or Claritin.
- If the child has symptoms of a severe allergic reaction and you have injectable epinephrine, immediately use it as directed and call for emergency help.
Seek emergency medical care if the child:
- Has any symptoms of a severe allergic reaction
- Was exposed to a food or substance that has triggered a severe reaction in the past.
- Was given injectable epinephrine.
|1-2 years||2.5 mL daily, do not take more than 5mL in 24 hours|
|2-6 years||2.5 – 5 mL daily, do not take more than 5mL in 24 hours|
|6+ years||5 – 10 mL daily, do not take more than 10mL in 24 hours|
|6 months – 2 yrs||2.5 mL twice daily, do not take more than 5 mL in 24 hours|
|2 – under 11 yrs||5 mL twice daily, do not take more than 10 mL in 24 hours|
|12 yrs and older||10 mL twice daily, do not take more than 20 mL in 24 hours|
|Weight (lbs)||Dose – Liquid (12.5mg/5mL)||Dose – Chewable (12.5mg)||Dose – Capsule (25mg)|
|20-24 lbs||3.75 mL every 6 hrs, no more than 15 mL in 24 hrs||N/A||N/A|
|25-37 lbs||5 mL every 6 hrs, no more than 20 mL in 24 hrs||1 tablet every 6 hrs, no more than 4 tablets in 24 hrs||N/A|
|38-49 lbs||7.5 mL every 6 hrs, no more than 30 mL in 24 hrs||1 1/2 tablets every 6 hrs, no more than 6 tablets in 24 hrs||N/A|
|50-99 lbs||10 mL every 6 hrs, no more than 40 mL in 24 hrs||2 tablets every 6 hrs, no more than 8 tablets in 24 hrs||1 capsule every 6 hrs, no more than 4 caps in 24 hrs|
|100+ lbs||N/A||4 tablets every 6 hrs, no more than 16 tablets in 24 hrs||2 capsules every 6 hrs, no more than 8 caps in 24 hrs|